In this step-by-step guide we will show you the process of properly assembling a Maturix type K thermocouple probe.
Materials and tools needed
In order to assemble a Maturix type K thermocouple you will need the following tools and materials:
- 1 x Type K mini connector
- 1 x Type K thermocouple wire
- 1 x heat shrink tubing (shrink: 3:1, width: 3mm, length: 10mm)
- Phillips screwdriver (PH0)
- Wire stripper
Disassemble the type K mini connector using the screwdriver.
Prepare the wire to be connected to the type K mini connector.
- Remove the white protection ring and place it on the cable
- Remove the insulation of the outer wire (blue insulation) using the wire stripper
- Adjust the inner wires to fit in the type K mini connector
- Remove the insulation (5-10 mm) of the inner wires (red and black insulation) using the wire stripper
Connect the cable to the type K mini connector.
- Loosen the screws in the Type K mini connector
- Connect the red wire to the positive pole (+ plus)
- Connect the black wire to the negative pole (- minus)
- Tighten the screws in the Type K mini connector
- Place the white protection ring in the type K mini connector and reassemble the lid
Prepare the tip of the type K wire
- Remove the insulation using the wire stripper
- Join together the black and red wire by twisting them firmly around each other
- Attach the heat shrink tube and heat it up carefully using a lighter so the exposed wire is entirely covered
Ensure the wires are twisted thoroughly and that the tip is fully protected with heat shrink tubing to not experience any measurement errors!
Do’s and Don’ts
Assembly of thermocouple connector
1. Remove the correct amount of insulation
2. Ensure that the wires are not exposed or twisted
3. Ensure correct polarity
Assembly of thermocouple tip
1. Ensure that the two wires are sufficiently connected
2. Ensure that the tip is sufficiently protected